refurbishme

Night Film
Marisha Pessl
Songs of Willow Frost
Jamie Ford
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn hmmm... where to start. This book is tough to review because it is hard to discuss what you liked or disliked about it without revealing too many spoilers. And that pretty much leaves a high level overview of the plot, and you can read the synopsis for that.

What I can say is that I really liked the writing. This was my first time reading a novel by Gillian Flynn and I have to say, she had me at hello. From the very first page, I was pulled into the story and didn't want to put it down. She has a way of immersing you into the story immediately.

What I didn't like? For one, the language. The use of the f-bomb was a bit much for me. It didn't add to the story or make the characters feel more real, it just felt excessive. Also, the middle of the book (a.k.a "the big twist") was... um.. not so surprising to me. I had it partially figured out, just not quite on the level to which it was revealed. (There wouldn't have been a story if it had gone any other way). And finally, the oh so controversial ending. When I turned the page and saw the word "Acknowledgements", my eyes bugged out and I immediately flipped back the page and thought "that was it??!!?" But after a little contemplation about what had actually happened, I have to say—I get it. I'm not saying I loved the ending, but I get why she did it. I don't even necessarily agree with other readers who said "It couldn't have ended any other way" because it could have. Lots of other ways in my opinion. But ultimately, the ending she chose made sense. My biggest fault with the ending was that it was so abrupt. Supporting characters were just shut out in a sentence or two (e.g. Go, Tanner, Boney) and just like that, it was over. All that build up and very little resolution.

Overall though, I did like the book. There aren't too many books that can pull me in so quickly and have me eager to find out what happens next. I enjoyed every minute of the wild ride, even the feeling of being totally deceived and misled at times. Most people either loved or hated this book, but I fell somewhere in the middle. That being said it is totally worth the read; whether you love it or hate it, you will definitely be talking about it.